Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Grampa

I grabbed this snapshot at my niece's birthday party last weekend. Do you think Leo loves his Grampa?My dad is in the hospital tonight and Leo misses his buddy.
About five years ago, my dad went to his doctor for a routine colonoscopy. Unfortunately, the doctor perforated his colon during the procedure, and my dad wound up in the ER and eventually on the operating table having emergency surgery to repair the tear.
Since that time, Dad has occasionally had painful blockages. Most of the time he can rest until the pain subsides; however, last night the blockage was so painful that he had to go to the ER. They admitted him to the hospital early this morning.
Bummer: Dad was up in Madison, Wisconsin on his annual golf trip! His best friend, Ray, drove him down to Aurora at 2AM...that's a true friend.
When I asked my dad why he didn't go to a hospital close to the lodge, he said, "I didn't want you to have to drive all the way up to Wisconsin, plus those HMOs are such a hassle when it comes to this stuff." That's Dad, always thinking about the details.
Jay is going to hang out with Dad tomorrow. We'll be back and forth between here and Mercy Center in Aurora this week. I'll check back with you this weekend or early next week. ;)

No comments: